Tuesday, June 8, 2010

First Adventure into Fresh Herbs- Bruschetta Recipe

I have been wanting to learn how to make one of my FAVORITE appetizers for a long time, but fresh herbs have always intimidated me.

But, I decided there's only ONE way to learn and that is to give it a whirl. And my two taste-testers agreed that it turned out pretty darn great. And, other than swallowing the prices of fresh herbs from the produce department, it was super easy.

So here it is... Shannon's Bruschetta

5 Roma tomatoes (they're the ones that are oval shaped)
1 package of Basil- minced to make 1/4 cup
1 package of Parsley- minced to make 2 tblsp
1 package of Chives- minced to make 2 tblsp
1 tsp minced garlic (once again, I use the kind from the jar sold in the produce department)
1 tsp salt
2 tblsp dried onion flakes
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Pepper to taste

So here's the deal on chopping herbs (learned from my favorite chef, Google). To chop Basil leaves, pull the leaves off the main stem and stack 5 on top of each other. Then roll really tight to look like a Tootsie Roll. Using a small paring knife, cut about 1/4 of the roll lengthwise in half. Then cut cross wise to make small minced pieces. Continue cutting small portions lengthwise and then crosswise until to end. Takes a few sets to cut enough for 1/4 cup. And yum, basil smells SOOOO good

Chives: the chives I bought didn't have "ends" but if yours have ends that are significantly lighter, cut them off. Then use kitchen scissors or a knife to cut a bunch at a time into small minces. This one's easy.

Parsley: I sucked at this and it took me forever, so here's the video, maybe it'll be better at describing it than I am. 

Okay, in a food processor, my blender came with a food processor container too so that is what I used. I chopped the tomatoes in half. Then added all the spices and oil. Pulse until equally chunky bruschetta-y looking. Let set in refrigerator probably overnight would be the best, I only did for about 4 hours. I could see how it would be best with more time to soften up all the herbs. Some of my friends thought it could use more salt too.

Then, to make a full meal, I took 6 cracked pepper Triscuits and put a piece of cold grilled chicken from the deli and then topped with bruschetta. I had lots of leftovers so it will be a really really easy snack for me for the next week. Overall, I'd give fresh herbs an A+. I can see why people grow their own with prices they way they are and them being so easy to cut and use. Will be trying to use them more!

No comments:

Post a Comment